I have came up with a list of some things not to do when making a site.
- Use Stylesheets whenever you are able to, limit the number of inline styles that you use.
- Don’t rely on flash for key functionality.
- Don’t use to much flash or java script because it will bough down your site.
- Don’t make a perfect design with no content.
- Don’t have a lot of content with bad design.
- Use a easy domain name that can be remembered.
- Use text rather than images where you are able because it will increase you search engine rank.
- Don’t make the site hard to navigate.
- Don’t make the site a small font but don’t make the site a big font either.
- Don’t make a site without a goal already set.
- Don’t steal designs from someone else, you may reference them but don’t copy.
- Use clear names for your links, that way people know where they are going.
- Use a font style that is not heavily used.
- Don’t use colors that make your eyes go crazy.
Well that is my list of things not to do. There are a lot of people out there that think colors are a really big thing and they are right. If you have a site that catches someones eye and has a catchy name then people are going to come back to the site.
If you have anything to add to this list please comment away and I might add them to the list of don’ts.